The Backbone Of The Union
Local 495 Shop Stewards Are Your Elected Co-workers
They diligently work to protect you on the job and serve in the vital position of Union-Management Liaison. Shop Stewards are your first course of action if a work problem arises and they ensure:
- An on-the-job union representative is always available to assist members.
- Your rights are not being violated.
- There are no potential safety problems or other hazards.
- To listen to your problems and concerns.
The Job Of A Shop Steward
Local 495 is committed to providing ongoing Shop Steward training seminars and courses to better serve the membership in the workplace. In addition to fully understanding your contract, Stewards are trained in a variety of areas including problem/conflict resolution, communication skills, and grievance handling.
Represents union members
- Addresses your concerns and problems
- Answers questions about your contract
- Works with management to solve problems
- Contacts your Business Agent when necessary
- Participates in organizing non-union workers